I am an applied mathematician undertaking research into nonlinear partial differential equations, employing a combination of analytical and numerical techniques in their study. I am particularly interested in studying free boundary problems arising from thin film flows, including investigations of rupture phenomena, moving contact lines and the effects of surface topography and driving forces upon the motion of the liquid. Such problems often yield evolution equations for the interfacial film thickness in the form of high-order degenerate parabolic equations.
- Pressure-dipole solutions of the thin-film equation, M. Bowen and T. P. Witelski, Euro. J. Appl. Math., 30 (2), 358-399, 2019.
- On self-similar thermal rupture of thin liquid sheets, M. Bowen and B. S. Tilley Phys. Flu., 25 (10), 102105, 2013.
- Dynamics of a viscous thread on a non-planar substrate, M. Bowen and J. R. King, J. Eng. Math., 80 (1), 39-62, 2013.
- Thermally induced van der Waals rupture of thin viscous fluid sheets, M. Bowen and B. S. Tilley, Phys. Flu., 24 (3), 032106, 2012.
- The linear limit of the dipole problem for the thin film equation, M. Bowen and T. P. Witelski, SIAM J. Appl. Math., 66 (5), 1727-1748, 2006.
- Thermocapillary control of rupture in thin viscous fluid sheets, B. S. Tilley and M. Bowen, J. Flu. Mech., 541, 399, 2005.
- Nonlinear dynamics of two-dimensional undercompressive shocks, M. Bowen, J. Sur, A. L. Bertozzi, R. P. Behringer, Physica D, 209 (1-4), 36-48, 2005.
- The self-similar solution for draining in the thin film equation, J. B. Van Den Berg, M. Bowen, J. R. King, M. M. A. El-Sheikh, Euro. J. Appl. Math., 15 (3), 329, 2004.
- ADI schemes for higher-order nonlinear diffusion equations, T. P. Witelski and M. Bowen, Appl. Num. Math., 45 (2-3), 331-351, 2003
- Thin film dynamics: theory and applications, A. L. Bertozzi and M. Bowen, Modern Methods in Scientific Computing and Applications, 31-79, 2002.
- Intermediate asymptotics of the porous medium equation with sign changes, J. Hulshof, J. R. King, M. Bowen, Adv Diff. Eq., 6 (9), 1115-1152, 2001.
- Anomalous exponents and dipole solutions for the thin film equation, J. Hulshof, J. R. King, M. Bowen., SIAM J. Appl. Math., 62 (1), 149-179, 2001.
- Moving boundary problems and non-uniqueness for the thin lm equation, J. R. King and M. Bowen, Euro. J. Appl. Math., 12, 321356, 2001.
- Asymptotic behaviour of the thin lm equation in bounded domains, M. Bowen and J. R. King, Euro. J. Appl. Math., 12 (2), 135-157, 2001.
- The Language of Mathematics: A Corpus-based Analysis of Research Article Writing in a Neglected Field, L. Anthony and M. Bowen, Asian ESP J., 9(2), 5-25, 2013.
- Singular perturbation theory, T. P. Witelski and M. Bowen, Scholarpedia 4 (4), 3951, 2009.